May 16, 2023
Episode 3 – The Radical Middle with Geologist Dr. Scott Tinker
In this episode, Adam and Andrew explore the challenges of the global energy transition with an expert who has been educating the public that every energy source has pros and cons, and that sustainability will require an energy mix.
Dr. Scott Tinker is considered one of the most influential geologists in the world.
He’s the Director of the Bureau of Economic Geology at the University of Texas, the State Geologist of Texas and a documentary filmmaker.
Dr. Tinker has been encouraging a convergence of energy philosophies in what he calls “the radical middle.”
“The radical middle is a place that we can work together in the economics, the energy systems, the environmental impacts and compromise,” Tinker tells Adam and Andrew. “We might be wrong on occasion, but we grow and learn. When we do that, we succeed.”
The topics covered in the interview include:
- Dr. Tinker’s work as the Founder and Chairman of Switch Energy Alliance, whose goal is to inspire an energy educated future
- Finding common ground and encouraging a civil dialogue on our energy future
- Dr. Tinker’s encouraging words of advice for the midstream industry with the energy transition
- How Net Zero poverty is just as critical as Net Zero emissions
“I don’t think we get to Net Zero emissions unless we begin to transition those in poverty,” says Tinker. “They simply can’t afford to do the things that need to be done for the climate.”
In the documentary Switch On, Dr. Tinker traveled to remote corners of Africa, Asia, and Latin America to meet leaders, entrepreneurs, and everyday heroes working to eradicate ‘energy poverty’ in their countries.
- Scott Tinker bio, University of Texas Bureau of Economic Geology
- Scott Tinker Wikipedia article
- Switch Energy Alliance
- The Hill – World’s road out of poverty is paved by energy — and plenty of it
- SwitchOn documentary
- Scott Tinker TEDx Talk: The dual challenge of energy and the environment
- LP Gas Magazine – Scott Tinker: The dual challenge: Reframing the debate on energy, environment
- Scott Tinker column: We Must ‘Go Honest’ to ‘Go Green’
- San Antonio Express News: ‘Carbon neutral’ isn’t ‘nature neutral’